This might be the fanciest plating of a dish I’ve ever done.
Gordon Ramsay might even be impressed…ok, probably not, but Mountain Man was impressed, and that’s all I care about. 😉
These delicious salmon cakes are a staple in our house. This recipe is easy, delicious and healthy. Best of all? Two out of three kiddos agree! I call that a win. One day, the Nugget will come around. At least, I’m praying he does…or else his future wife is going to have her work cut out for her.
Choose your fish wisely…
The trick to making sure this recipe is actually healthy, is to make sure you use a good salmon. Whether you choose fresh or canned, make sure that it’s WILD CAUGHT salmon. Farmed salmon, or farmed fish in general, is best to stay away from, for various reasons:
- Omega-3 fats are reduced by about 50% in farmed salmon, vs. wild caught.
- Many farmed fish are fed genetically modified corn and soy.
- Farmed fish pollute the environment and damage local ecosystems.
These are seriously only a few reasons why it’s important to know the source of not only your seafood, but your food in general.
For this recipe, I used the Royal Pink brand of Wild Alaska Skinless & Boneless Pink Salmon. I know some people prefer to get the canned salmon with the bones and skin, but y’all…I can’t. I’ve tried. One time, I bought a can by accident, and when I opened it up, there was a fish eyeball staring at me. I lost it. I apologized to Mountain Man that I was wasting food…but I was not about the eat that.
What you’ll need:
- 18oz. canned salmon
- 2 eggs
- Breadcrumbs (we make our own)
- Old Bay Seasoning
That’s it! So let’s get started, shall we?
- 18 oz. canned Wild Caught Salmon - drained (I used three 6 oz. cans)
- 2 Eggs
- 6 Tbls. homemade breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (you can adjust to your taste)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl with a fork.
- By hand, shape salmon into small-medium sized cakes, and place on a baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for approx. 15 minutes, or until they turn a nice golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, and remove gently using a spatula.
- Serve warm with your choice of sides (we love ours with brown rice and a colorful veggie!)
Did you try this recipe? I would love to hear what you think! Happy and healthy eating, friends!