Do you have a meal that you always find yourself coming back to over and over again?
Well, that’s THIS recipe for both myself and Mountain Man. Every weekend, I plan out our menu for the upcoming week. And this past meal planning session, I was searching for a recipe to fill in one empty day on my planner. I pulled out every cookbook I had, but nothing really jumped out at me.
Mountain Man to the rescue (again).
Whenever I feel “stuck” in menu planning, I can always count on my husband to throw out some oldies but goodies. He happened to mention that we haven’t had our “Egg Roll in a Bowl” in a while. So without any hesitation, it automatically got added to the blank Tuesday night on our recipe board!
I think the reason we love this recipe is that it’s super simple and quick to throw together… as long as you have all of the necessary ingredients. If you were to ask my husband, he would tell you that I’m notorious for forgetting ONE ingredient during my grocery runs. And that ONE ingredient is usually pretty essential to my meal. Thankfully, he always calls me on his way home from work to see if I need anything from the store before he gets home. He’s so thoughtful.
Aside from needing all of the listed ingredients, we really love that this meal is filling and super healthy. Whenever we do a round of Whole 30, it makes it onto our meal rotation quite frequently.
Alright now, let’s just get down to brass tacks, shall we?
Let’s talk ingredients.
There will be a few substitution options in this recipe, which makes it super easy to customize to what’s in your pantry. I will list the things WE use in the recipe and then put some substitute options in ().
First, you’ll want to gather all of your ingredients. Since this recipe doesn’t take long, I like to have everything waiting for me on the counter, so I don’t waste time searching through my cabinets and fridge during the cooking process.
I also suggest pre-cutting, dicing, and mincing all of your onions and garlic.
Once you have everything set out, you can get started. This recipe should take no longer than 30 minutes start to finish.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic - minced
- 1/2 cup Onion - diced
- 5 Green Onions - sliced on a slant Slice both white and green parts - save green parts aside for later
- 1 lb. Ground Pork If you do not eat pork, Ground Turkey is a good substitute
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger I like to use 1 drop Ginger Essential Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Chile Garlic Sauce Sriracha is a good substitute
- 14 oz Bag of Coleslaw mix Green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots
- 3 tbls Coconot Aminos If not on Whole 30 you can use Soy Sauce (just less because of its high sodium content)
- 1 tbls Apple Cider Vinegar Or Unseasoned Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbls Toasted Sesame Seeds
- In a skillet over Medium High, heat up Sesame Oil.
- Add Garlic, Onion and the white portion of the green onions to the pan. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onions are translucent.
- Add ground pork, Ginger, salt and pepper - cook until pork is cooked through.
- Add Garlic Chile Sauce or Sriracha and stir to combine.
- Add colesalw mix, Coconut aminos, and ACV. Sauté until coleslaw is tender.
- Top with Sesame Seeds before serving and enjoy!
- If you aren't concerned about keeping this a low-carb meal, it's wonderful to serve over steamed rice or rice noodles.
- The leftovers are just as yummy (maybe even yummier), as the flavors meld together!