Good Morning friends!! I wanted to start off the day with a recipe on the most important meal of the day…breakfast!
Please trust me, that when I say this is one meal you do not need to skip, that I am preaching to myself, too. I am the worst at skipping breakfast and simply grabbing a cup of coffee (anyone else guilty of this? It’s ok…you won’t get any judgement from me!).
As a busy mom of 3 kiddos, I need something easy. Yes….this recipe is so EASY. So if I can do this, so can you. The best part? Even my pickiest child, the Nugget, will eat this! (can I get an Amen?!)
I’ve been making this cereal for over 2 years now, and it’s still a favorite for most of the family.
I know there are several coconut haters out there (I am one, too!!), so I wanted to give you a little encouragement to try this recipe. I hate the texture of raw coconut. I’ve tried it covered in chocolate, and I still can’t stomach it enough to swallow it. But this recipe has changed that for me. I guess since it’s baked, it gets crunchy enough that it blends in super well with the rest of the granola ingredients.
*Recipe credit to 100 Days of Real Food– I made a few slight changes to better suit our needs and what we had on hand in the pantry.
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw sliced almonds
- 1 cup any additional raw nuts you may like (optional)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 drop d?TERRA Cinnamon essential oil (if you don't have the oil, simply do 2 tsp of ground cinnamon)
- 1 drop d?TERRA Ginger essential oil (if you don't have this, use 1.5 ground ginger)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbls butter (or coconut oil will work as well)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, shredded coconut, seeds, spices (not the oils), and salt until well combined.
- In a small pot over low heat, combine butter and honey. Simmer until butter is completely melted. Add vanilla extract and essential oils, and remove from heat.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix together thoroughly.
- Using spatula, spread the mixture evenly over the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 75 minutes...be prepared for how amazing your house will smell!
- Let baked granola cool completely before crumbling. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, or eat as an easy and delicious on-the-go snack!