Have you ever had one of those days where you were tired of leftovers?
Eating the same thing day after day?
Sure, we all have. It gets old after like, day 3. But what do you do, when you are short on ingredients for all of your go-to recipes?
You fake it ’til you make it, friend. And that’s exactly what I did with this meal. With chicken being the second most widely consumed meat in the world, it came as no surprise to me that I had some chicken in the freezer. I also happened to have a few potatoes, and I scoured the freezer for a veggie and came across some green beans. Boom! Surely I could make a meal out of all of that.
I found a recipe on Pinterest for a garlic lemon chicken, and used that as my jumping off point. I had most of the seasonings needed, and was able to substitute what I didn’t have, for something I did.
For example, I don’t keep bouillon in the house because it’s über processed…and I can usually get the same (if not better) taste from chicken/beef broth. And I actually ran out of butter before the “browning of the chicken”, so coconut oil came in super handy.
Plus, I just love how pretty the chicken looks right out of the slow cooker!
And the biggest test was Mountain Man. I wasn’t sure how the lemon would jive with his tastebuds, but he loved it. We both even went back for SECONDS! I’ll file this one away as a keeper.
As far as kids go…I think if your kids were the type to actually eat whatever you serve them, then this will be a hit! But most days, we wait until the kids are in bed, so we can actually enjoy our meal without breaking up fights, or hearing constant whining about “the green stuff” on their plates. One day, I’ll serve this to my kiddos, but right now, I’m fine with just being able to sit back and enjoy this yumminess with my main squeeze.
You’re gonna want to file this away, too. So here’s the recipe, so you can do just that.
Lemon Garlic Crockpot Chicken
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lbs (roughly) chicken breast – thawed if frozen
- 2 Tbls unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-4 Tbls lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves – on a microplane or minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or more if you want extra juice to drizzle on your chicken)
- 1 Tbls dried parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix it well and rub all over both sides of chicken breasts.
- Heat butter or coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat – brown the chicken on both sides, then gently place in the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the water, chicken stock and lemon juice – bring to a boil.
- Pour boiled mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- At the end of that cook time, baste the chicken and crank up the heat to high for an additional 15-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Serve with your favorite sides (drizzle extra lemon mixture over chicken if desired).