Who’s ready to get patriotic?!
First, I owe you all an apology. I have not been posting as many new recipes as I would like. Our family got into a good groove of making, enjoying, and eating all of the easy and yummy recipes I have posted so far, that I haven’t felt the need to branch out…until now.
Now, you may look at this and think to yourself, “Looks pretty, but it’s definitely going to be a Pinterest fail”…
Ahh… but you’d be wrong, my friend! This is actually totally doable and you should totally DO THIS. NOW. Plus, your kids will have fun helping add the berries. Unless you’re one of those people who gets a little nervous tick when kids get involved with something that could look super pretty, and it just looks like a Picasso painting come to life on a plate. That’s not me. I’m not speaking from experience or anything…
Moving on, shall we?
But seriously, this is easy and delicious.
And if you’re not neurotic about how it looks (like I am…or not. We never clarified that.), then this would be super fun for the kiddos to help out with!
I got the recipe for the crust from my friends over at Life Made Sweeter. It was easy and it’s super yummy (and healthy)! They made a gluten free version, but since all I had on hand was regular whole wheat flour, that’s what I went with. The results were flawless.
Since I wanted something a little creamier than yogurt, I went with a good ‘ol fashion whipped cream frosting. I used the recipe from 100 Days of Real Food. Zero refined sugar – 100% delicious.
Just be careful not to over-whip it! I made that mistake, after my attention was taken away from the kitchen for a hot minute, and I came back to cream soup – headed toward the crumbly butter phase. Yikes.
So I headed to the store to get more ingredients. Le sigh. Such is life….but oh so worth it.
Look how pretty!!!
There’s plenty of time to make this yummy dessert and WOW your friends and family, at your cookout this 4th! Let’s do this!
Red, White and Blue Fruit Pizza
Oatmeal Cookie Crust:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or you can make it gluten free by using oat flour)
- 3/4 cups honey
- 3 Tbls coconut oil – at room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8oz package of cream cheese – room temp
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Blueberries (blackberries are also great!)
- You can add ANY fruit and make this a regular (but delicious) fruit pizza!
- FOR THE CRUST:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or line with parchment paper, a 10 inch cake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine your oats, flour, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the honey and coconut oil and mix well with a fork, until the mixture comes together.
- Spread the oat mixture into your cake pan (I found using a rubber spatula helped press it down).
- Bake for 10 minutes – remove and allow to cool. After it’s mostly cooled, you can place in the fridge or freezer for quicker cooling times. You can also make this crust the night before and have no waiting time!
- FOR THE ICING:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add all of your icing ingredients and mix for several minutes, starting at the lowest speed and gradually increasing speed (to avoid splatters).
- Don’t walk away! This is how I ended up with almost butter the first time.
- ADD YOUR TOPPINGS – DONE!
- keep refrigerated