This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you – which helps keep this blog running, my recipes free, and supports my family.
A few weeks back, I taught an essential oils class for some friends, at their church.
Now please keep in mind that I live in the Bible Belt, and this class was held at a Baptist church. If you’re not familiar with the Baptist denomination, anytime there is a gathering (especially in the Southern Baptist church), FOOD is always present. Lots of it. And it’s goooooood.
I walked into the church fellowship hall to begin setting up all my oil goodies, and my friends are in the kitchen whipping up all sorts of tasty treats for the class attendees. It smelled amazing. I almost didn’t turn on my diffuser… 😉
One of the items on the table for consumption, was a southwestern style dip. But with a ranch twist. I couldn’t get enough.
I immediately asked her for her recipe, of which she graciously gave to me.
Fast forward a few weeks, and my Sunday School class had a cookout. And you guessed it…we had LOTS of food! I was crunched on time, so I decided to scour my pantry, and discovered I had everything I needed to make a version of this dip. The only thing I didn’t have, was the packet of ranch that my friend used, but I had all the ingredients to make my own. So I went to it. Made Mountain Man taste test. Made a few adjustments. Taste tested again. Perfection.
Let’s just say that there may have been 1 or 2 folks at the cookout who just stood in front of the dip the entire time. 😉 Also, Little Miss T was not phased by the spicy-ness. In fact, she kept asking for “mo dip, mo dip!” A girl after my own heart…and hair. Oh that hair.
So without further ado, I bring to you this Spicy Ranch Dip!
Don’t let the “spicy” part deter you from trying this. This recipe is super flexible and you can add as much or as little “spicy” as you want. As for me and Mountain Man? We like the spicy.
In the recipe, I mention adding some of my Taco seasoning…it’s easy, and if you haven’t tried it yet, you need to. Stat. Go here now to get the recipe.
- Ranch Mix (makes several servings - you will not use all of this in your dip)
- 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk
- 2 Tbls dried Parsley
- 1 Tbls Onion powder
- 2 tsp dried Chives
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- For the Dip:
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles - drained
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar, but you could use any combination you like)
- 10+ drops of tabasco sauce, depending on your spicy needs
- For the Ranch mix: Pulse in food processor until well combined and store in airtight container. 3 Tbls of this mixture equals 1 packet of the store bought ranch dip mix.
- For the Dip: Add canned tomatoes, sour cream and cheese to a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Add in 3 Tbls of Ranch mix, and 1-2 Tbls taco seasoning (to your taste preference). Stir well.
- Add tabasco sauce - start with 5-10 drops, mix well and taste. Add more if desired. My recipe had about 40 drops!
Let me know if you try this and share your pictures on social media with the hashtag #crunchymountainkitchen – I’d love to see your creations!!