Who’s ready to get patriotic?!
First, I owe you all an apology. I have not been posting as many new recipes as I would like. Our family got into a good groove of making, enjoying, and eating all of the easy and yummy recipes I have posted so far, that I haven’t felt the need to branch out…until now.
I’m sorry I’ve been MIA for the past week.
It’s been quite a week here on Crunchy Mountain. I had a jam-packed week and a half of attending and teaching essential oil education classes, and just haven’t spent much time in the kitchen. Which means less time to try out new recipes. Mountain Man has missed it, that’s for sure. 😉
This sponge cake recipe actually started out as a “healthy coffee cake” attempt for a dear friend. I’m always looking for new recipes to try and she gave me the challenge of creating a healthy version of coffee cake. Needless to say, this particular cake did not pass her test as a real coffee cake. So it looks like I’ll be going back to the drawing board for another coffee cake attempt…But it did pass Mountain Man’s test of being delicious, which means it is officially blog worthy! Yay!
Unfortunately, for my allergy folks, this cake is not dairy free, egg free, or gluten free. You can always sub out the eggs for banana or flax seed, and the milk and flour for an alternative you can have. I believe the consistency would be very similar.
Winner, Winner, chicken dinner!
Not that I’m surprised (because it’s a sweet), but this recipe was a winner with the whole Crunchy Mountain Crew. I mean, what’s not to love?
Applesauce? Good. Cinnamon? Good. Sweet, glazed goodness drizzled on top? Goooooood.
And while this may not technically pass as a traditional coffee cake, it still pairs wonderfully with coffee. So slice it up, pour yourself a cup o’ joe, and enjoy!
Apple Cinnamon Sponge Cake
- For the Cake:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- For the Mix-In:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 Tbls maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon (or 1 drop d?TERRA Cinnamon essential oil)
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbls applesauce
- For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 Tbls honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbls milk
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 drop of d?TERRA Cinnamon essential oil (or 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a spring form pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Prepare the mix-in by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well - set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, syrup, and applesauce. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl, and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into greased spring-form pan. Slowly pour the mix-in mixture all over the top of the batter. You can leave as is and allow it to distribute itself, or take a spoon and gently swirl around the batter.
- Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife is inserted into the center, and comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool about 15 minutes. While it is cooling, prepare your topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and mixing well. Once cake has cooled, transfer it to a serving plate, and drizzle the topping all over the top.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!