I have never liked “lemon flavor” breads or baked goods. Lemon Merengue, sure. But cookies and other “cakes” that are supposed to taste like lemon? Blech. So you can imagine my surprise and internal anger, when, during the cake-cutting-and-smashing-into-eachothers-mouth at my wedding, resulted in me tasting lemon flavoring in the cake! The cake was gorgeous, and was supposed to alternate layers of chocolate cake, white cake, chocolate cake, white cake. Now the chocolate portion was delish, but somewhere along the line, someone missed the memo of NO LEMON, and added lemon ALL UP IN THAT BEAST of what was supposed to be plain ol’ “white cake”. Needless to say, we did not save and eat the top layer of our cake on our 1 year anniversary.
Fast Forward 10 years (holy cow, we’ve been married almost 10 years?!).
I actually don’t gag at the thought of lemon in my cookies and cakes anymore. Now, I will actually intentionally put lemon in my baked goods! Who is this person I’ve become?! I honestly don’t know, but I can say that the only thing that has changed is the “lemon” that is used in the baking. I truly believe this makes all the difference. I’m sorry friends, but if you are using bottled “lemon juice”, or lemon extract from the store, I’m here to tell you it’s just not the same. Those of us who normally hate lemon “flavor”, can tell the difference.
Since we have cut out most of the processed things we consume, I now use real lemons (gasp!) or pure lemon essential oil.
And I’m telling you, the result is nothing short of delicious. In fact, I use my lemon essential oil in recipes quite often, and they are always very well-received by all in the Crunchy Mountain household…especially my Lemon Squash Poppy Seed Bread!
Okay, okay, I’ll shut up. After all, you came here for a recipe…not to hear me ramble on about my weird lemon “issues”.
This recipe for the Whole Wheat Raspberry Lemon Muffins (minus the Essential Oil part) came straight from one of my favorites! 100 Days of Real Food: Fast & Fabulous – check it out!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-7 drops d?TERRA Lemon essential oil (or 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest if not using EO's)
- 1 stick (4 oz) room temperature butter - not melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries - do not thaw
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with silicone or paper liners (recipe makes 12).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt (and lemon zest, if not using Lemon EO).
- In your stand mixer, with the whisk attachment, cream the butter on medium speed. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add egg, milk, syrup, vanilla extract and lemon oil.
- With the speed still on low, slowly add in the flour mixture. The batter will be thick. Carefully fold in the frozen raspberries until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin liners, using a spoon.
- Bake until a toothpick or knife is inserted into the center, and comes out clean, about 17-23 minutes
Here are a few pics of Little Miss T, for attention. Isn’t she cute? Oh yeah, and she digging the muffins. 😉